☏ Writer: Richard K. Moe
Behind The Anime
☏ Original Story – Yun Kōga (Loveless)
☏ Animation Production – Diomedéa (Kantai Collection, Sky Wizards Academy, World Break: Aria of Curse for a Holy Swordsman)
☏ Director – Keizō Kusakawa (Kantai Collection, Asura Cryin’, Ro-Kyu-Bu!)
☏ Writer – Kiyoko Yoshimura (Nabari No Ou, Gravion, Shonen Onmyouji)
“At a private girls’ boarding school, Myōjō Academy, thirteen girls are transferred into the academy’s “10th Year Class Black”. Of these thirteen students, twelve are assassins from various backgrounds who are all tasked with assassinating the remaining student, a girl named Haru Ichinose. If they succeed, they will be granted any wish they desire, but if they fail, they are expelled from the class. One of the assassins, Tokaku Azuma, develops feelings for Haru and defects to her side, resolving to protect her from the other assassins”. (Source Wikipedia)
- Tokaku is an intelligent, strong, and likable protagonist.
- Tokaku doesn’t feel like some dead eye character.
- Introduction gets to the point and throws you in.
- Assassination Rules are fair and reasonable.
- Tokaku reasoning for wanting to protect Haru is cliche but nice.
- The cast of characters become likable throughout the show.
- Episode titles are riddles which work really well with each episode.
- Certain assassins reasoning’s for wanting the wish is meaningful.
- Certain assassin’s fighting tactics are worthy of praise.
- Assassins backgrounds are interesting to know.
- Some assassins backgrounds are original. (Such as: Isuke and Suzu).
- Surprising sometimes with some “I DIDN’T SEE THAT COMING” moments. (For Example: An assassin cleverly hid missing cards, Episode 8 was INTENSE, Reasoning behind a certain secret).
- Some suspenseful moments. (For Example: Episode 9’s hide and seek chase scene).
- Able to get through all the assassins in a fair amount of time.
- Haru reasoning for wanting to graduate Class Black feels just right.
- A thrilling yet happy conclusion.
- Very well picked music choices. (Such as: Disturbing piano keys,
Sinister synthesizer, Dark instrumentals).
- The colors and lighting of the show are splendid.
- Menacing moments feel threatening. (For Example: Bright and dark lighting, Shaky camera).
- The punches, kicks, and jabs of fight scenes are all felt.
- Background characters are not colored most of the time to show that they are not important.
- Wonderful pacing. There’s no stopping.
- Each assassin gets there own ending theme. It’s pretty cool.
- Character designs are sharp and attractive.
- Animation is pretty darn good during fight scenes.
- Menacing moments are really good looking.
- Doesn’t do well in explaining things in the beginning.
- Many characters are cliche.
- Assassin’s attempts at assassinations are usually predictable.
- When characters become sadistic or menacing, it can come off as cheesy and try hard.
- Haru is a bit too optimistic in the face of danger. (For Example: Haru has been tricked many times but she continues to be tricked because she is hopeful it won’t be a trick, Tokaku is constantly warning her).
- Tokaku’s acceptance to Haru is way too quick and sudden.
- It feels like there in no tension between Tokaku and the other assassins in many moments. (For Example: The assassin’s just tell Tokaku who’s attempting to kill Haru, An assassin at one point, puts a bomb on Haru’s neck and everything feels dandy (Then another assassin playfully attempts to decipher the code on Haru’s neck bomb and makes them lose a chance out of three chances. And Tokaku does nothing but says “Quit messing around”).
- The classmates of Class Black are way too comfortable with each other.
- Assassin’s backgrounds are a bit vague.
- Assassin’s tend to not have fulfilling closure.
- The “Pool Episode” felt forced in.
- The story doesn’t know how to take itself seriously at many points.
- Delivery of certain moments have issues.
- Teacher Mizoragi is not really important. He’s just kinda there.
- Riddle Man A.K.A. Kaiba is not expressed well until towards the end.
- The ending unfortunately leaves some questions unanswered and is a bit too light-hearted.
- Characters reaction’s to situations at times are problematic.
- At time’s you can’t take scenes seriously.
- When characters become sadistic or menacing it can come off as cheesy and try hard.
- Some fights start off very awkwardly.
✘ 7.7/10 ✘ I DON’T LOVE IT BUT I LIKE IT!
Final Comments: What can I say? This Anime right here had a lot of problems but it was still pretty darn good. I thought I had everything figured out about this show but I didn’t. Surprising, shocking, intense, happy, and enjoyable moments are here in this Anime. The show’s colors are “very eye-pleasing”. Loved the colors of this show. Also when the lighting would change in situations, now that was something awesome to see. When fights scenes happened I was punched and kicked in the face. I could feel the hurt they were putting on each other. It was excellent. Not in that way, where I like being hurt. But the fact that I could feel it was awesome. The pacing of this show was outstanding. There was no stopping once we took off. We continued to move forward until the end. I didn’t like every single character in this show but they are likable. But when I loved a character, I did. Isuke, Haru, Tokaku, Hanabasu, and Nio! I love, I love, I love, I love you! Unfortunately, the show wasn’t all good. Many moments did not deliver well. When characters tried to be menacing they were just cheesy and try hard most of the time. Haru continued to be tricked every time when someone tried to take her out. You’d think she learn after a bit. Tokaku sometimes felt like the only one who was truly thinking. Although I enjoyed being comfortable with Class Black, they were just too comfortable with each other. I’m torn between the ending of the show. It was a thrilling and happy ending yet it felt too light-hearted and cliche. There are still some questions that are unanswered. They may or may not be answered in the future. Who knows. What I do know is that this show is not a perfect one. But it definitely is a good one. It’s one you can skip or watch, you probably won’t regret either decision. I’m glad that I saw this though. I got another good almost great anime experience! – Richard K. Moe
The Opening Is Down Below For Your Viewing. I Know You’re Curious.