Aired: Apr 15, 2011 to Jun 24, 2011 – 11 Episodes
A Shut-in “Jintan” is haunted by a spirit he names “The Summer Beast”. This entity is his childhood-friend “Menma” who passed away in an accident long ago. Knowing that she doesn`t belong here. Menma and Jintan find connections in their old friends to release her soul to heaven. As Jintan`s happiness returns he realizes if letting Menma go is what he really wants.
Background and Interesting Facts
- “AnoHana: The Flower We Saw That Day” is seen in multiple formats after the animation. Such as: Light Novel, Visual Novel, Manga, Semi-Sequel Film and a Live-Action TV Drama.
- Many anime fans have listed this as one of the “saddest anime of all time”.
- Creative plot and setting. I love the story built around it.
- Powerful narrative. It`s emotional especially in the beginning where Menma returns to her home and sees what her mother does for her. It uses the time-frame well and tries it`s best in closing the package.
- The Characters. They have depth and actually let you know that they aren’t just flat even though they seem like they could be.
- Animation and art. There doesn’t seem to be a time where the show has quality errors. And there is clean overall design for the show.
- Certainly there are cliche moments. They aren’t very noteworthy because the show does a good job at using them correctly. But you’ll see the typical fall on your knees to cry.
- Character links did not occur so well. They should have gone for bonding throughout the series amongst the cast. There was a sequence where the characters were in a house playing games and that was fun. It would have been great to see the whole cast do something like that more.
Final Comments: It definitely is an emotional anime, many will enjoy. It may not be for everyone, but it s a sad ride, definitely a wide-crowd can enjoy.
Preview The Trailer and the Hard-Workers Behind This Project Below.
- DIRECTOR Nagai Tatsuyuki worked in (ToraDora,, Chobits and Railgun/S).
- Written by Mari Okada. (Black Butler, Toradora, And Rozen Maiden)
- Music by Remedios
- Sound Director – Aketagawa Jin (Aldnoah.Zero, Hyper Dimension The Animation and Kiniro Mosaic)
- Production Committee: A-1 Pictures Aniplex Dentsu, and Fuji Television Network (as Fuji TV)
- Distributors: Nis America (Home Video USA).
- Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures (Sword Art Online, Aldnoah.Zero, and Working)